3.16.2009

spring break '09

Saturday marked the first official day of spring break '09. While Mr. Beeton's students are off in Cancun and mine are in New Mexico, working with the Navajo Nation on alternative spring break, Mr. Beeton and I celebrated by cooking some good food and catching up on a stack of movies from Netflix. We had planned a trip to Cleveland to visit a friend from college, but he called on Thursday night with the news that he had to attend a shotgun wedding in Cincinnati. And with that call, our "staycation" began.

We had some leftover filo dough from Ella's birthday party. I had intended, that night, to make tiny taco tarts. But, we ran out of time, so since then, the filo dough has been sitting in the refridgerator. I thought I might try my hand at spanakopita, so we walked down to Whole Foods in pursuit of the fillings. I also wanted to try a beet salad with goat cheese because I'd just finished reading A Homemade Life and it made me want to eat goat cheese. 

We didn't get home until about 7:30 pm, and to top it off, we forgot the spinach. But other than that one small issue (easily rectified by Mr. Beeton who drove out to Safeway), the meal was surprisingly easy to make. And delicious. A great way to start off a staycation. 

Keep sweeping, Martha

* Note: The Happy Homekeeper is not my first attempt at blogging; it's just my best attempt. On a previous blog I kept, I recorded all the books I read and all the movies I watched. I was reading the blog the other day to see if I could "mine" it for anything, and I remembered this small detail. So, I'll re-start that tradition here. 

Finished reading Molly Wizenberg's A Homemade Life. Watched The Wackness and Benji.

No comments: