7.15.2009

dang deer

Ella and I decided to spend the afternoon in the garden. Okay, so it's not exactly a garden, but it's as close as we can get here in the city. Mr. Beeton and I have been very excited because our tomato plants have about six tomatoes on them, and some of them are getting ripe! We've been dreaming of gazpacho, bruschetta, and eating them right off the vine.

BUT THEY'RE GONE! Completely, utterly, totally gone.

I got Ella situated on her green leash, so she could sunbathe, and when I walked over to the container garden, the pepper plant was knocked over as was the tomato plant. And, the tomato plant was BARE! Something had knocked the pepper plant out of the way and eaten the tomatoes right off the vine... like I've been dreaming of. 

My suspicion is that the deer are to blame. I know, I know, we're in the city...but we've got a small population of deer in the woods across from our apartment. I saw them munching on some flowers in front of one of the apartment complexes next to us. So, yes, I'm thinking it's deer. 

This is one of those times that I wish I had some loyal readers to help me! If anyone reads this blog and has any suggestions for keeping these pesky deer away, let me know. Our gazpacho depends on it.

Keep sweeping, Martha

Finished Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl.

No comments: