7.27.2009

land of the living

I never realized how much of my life revolves around food. Right now, of course, my academic work is focusing on food, but it's more than just that. I use food to mark occasions - from the big events in life like anniversaries to birthdays to the everyday small stuff like finishing an article or actually having cleaned the house. Essentially, ever since my high school days when Twin Peaks first aired, I've lived by Special Agent Dale Cooper's philosophy:  "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret.  Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee." For me, these presents nearly always revolve around food - frappucinos, take-out sushi, fresh veggies. Even more likely, I get this tendency to celebrate gastronomically from my Nana. She always used food to express her love, and I remember a lot of good times at her house that involved some sort of deliciousness (I'm still searching for a recipe of hers that resulted in a dreamy, blended jello/ice cream dessert... I inherited her dishes to serve it in, but I can't seem to get the measurements exactly right to reproduce the darn thing).

The reason I'm reflecting right now is because I am finally - after a painful week - able to eat. My summer bug turned out to be strep throat, and it had progressed so far that, after attacking my tonsils, it actually crawled out of my throat and started assaulting my mouth proper, causing painful blisters all around the inside of my mouth. Most of what I ate caused my mouth to burn, burn, burn, so I was reduced to a diet of yogurt, applesauce, oatmeal, and buttered 'ronis. So painful. Even more painful than the blisters. 

But, today, for the first time, I feel better. The blisters are almost healed, and I'm celebrating with a roast - some serious comfort food. I popped it in the crock pot for the day with half a box of beef stock, some cut up yellow onions, some sliced red potatoes, and some carrots. I can't think of a better way to celebrate. My Nana would be proud.

Keep sweeping, Martha

Watching Mad Men: Season 1. Finished reading Climbing the Mango Trees by Madhur Jaffrey.

No comments: