11.20.2011

a nine dollar bottle of wine

I get on these kicks sometimes, obsessing over a television series. Then, it's these series that become the way for me to chronicle major periods of my life. That summer alone in Newark with no friends and a roommate overseas was a terrible reality show about the Hamptons. The time that Mr. Beeton lived in Austin for a few years was Alias. Our honeymoon - Heroes. The Killing was the last few weeks of my pregnancy. And, with the birth of Baby Beeton came the debut of the series Up All Night.

As a new parent, I see a lot of comedic potential around every turn (except, of course, in those moments that are pure tragedy). And, I thought that this new series - especially since its star, Christina Applegate, is a new mother herself - could really hit it out of the park. But, I'm not sure it does. There's an interesting article here that kind of sums up my feelings. I like it, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't do for "parenting" what Modern Family does for "family."

Still, there are moments... mostly from the "Birth" episode where an unknowing Reagan goes in for the miracle that is natural childbirth and ends up having a C-section. Now that's something I can relate to...

Keep sweeping, Martha

Watched Little Children.

1 comment:

Living in Gear said...

I totally agree, the "birth" episode was the best. Others go by without once showing their child? It's as if the parenting theme is an afterthought often and it was what drew me to the series!