3.03.2014

moody

I love the mood boards that home design bloggers often post to show their inspiration for certain rooms. In high school, I obsessively collected various home design magazines (Country Living was a favorite), clipping photographs of inspiring rooms and tucking them away in a folder. I still have that folder in one of the drawers of my desk, and I pull it out occasionally to see how my taste has - or has not - changed.

Though I have a mood board for the kitchen and one for the dining room, I didn't come up with one for Baby Beeton's room. Instead, I realized as I was putting pieces that I loved together that those pieces were the inspiration for the room.


The felt board the elves made for Christmas.


The Seattle print that Great Aunt K gave us one year along with a clementine box that I saved because I loved the colors.


The mini-rocking chair that Great Grandpa made with the seat cushion that Great Grandma made.

These items - with their navy, orange, red, and turquoise hues - are what has defined Baby Beeton's room. They dictated that I bring in an old yellow and aqua owl bank from Mr. Beeton's Grammy as well as Mr. Beeton's Snoopy bank from when he was a little boy. It's the reason why a photo of Ella and Baby Beeton rest on the side table next to a Westie plant potter that Mr. Beeton got me one Valentine's Day.

Slowly, the room is coming together. We have a radiator cover that we got on craiglist that we'll paint navy, the grating white. We'll stack books on top with these bookends. I'd love to get a Color + Plus turquoise lamp for the dresser. And these Superhero prints from Etsy. And a big wall clock like this one. Maybe a bird cage or two. And a crazy quilt for snuggling.

Decorating is the best.

Keep sweeping, Martha

Finished reading It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, A Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather Armstrong.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have a dream binder where I put pages from magazines about decorating/design and places I want to travel. I too love magazines! it's so fun to look back at the clippings. I can't wait to see Baby B's room!