11.05.2009

brushing the dusky window

Fall is here. It's chillier. The sun feels different. It's dark when my last class ends at 5:30 pm. Halloween came and went. With homemade costumes and trick-or-treat.

And now, we're headed - full force - into the most hectic time of the semester. Students are frantically researching, furiously writing, and often sighing loudly when I ask, "And how are you adding to the conversation?" Soon it will be Thanksgiving. Their papers will be done, and life will get a lot simpler.

I'm in the midst of working on my own paper -one that I'll be presenting in Atlanta next week. It's about using blogs in the feminist, writing classroom. In reading about blogs, it occurred to me, "Hey. Wait. Don't I have a blog?"

Generally speaking, I don't care for colder weather. I like summer. The hotter, the better. But, I do love food in the fall, particularly this Chickpea Hot Pot recipe from 101 Cookbooks. It's one of the best vegetarian recipes I've ever eaten, too. And, since I know one of my only loyal readers doesn't touch meat, I thought it was a doubly appropriate post for November.

Don't try this one in summer. It just tastes weird; I'm not sure why. We made it the other night after crunching through the leaves with Ella. Perfect for fall.

Keep sweeping, Martha

Trying to read Twilight. Took about 15 college students to see Where the Wild Things Are.

2 comments:

JJ said...

I'm printing out the recipe if only because you called me one of your only loyal readers! Aw shucks. Hey, good luck in Atlanta--love that city. And good luck w/Twilight, too...FYI, you can find a variation of the word "eye" on almost every page. A fun game to keep you turning those pages! :)

Martha Beeton said...

I think you will love it! It is one of my absolutely favorite dishes. And hey... I didn't realize you guys were on our way to Atlanta. If we had known (and had more time), we would have stopped off and said, HI.