7.20.2010

wood stress work

I should be writing right now in a serious way about postfeminism and the kitchen, but instead I'm fixated on a little house problem that we're having - cleaning the splattered paint off the woodwork. You see, one of the reasons that we decided to buy our little house was because all of the wood trim had been left untouched - a rare find on the D.C. housing market. Well, I should qualify that. Untouched, that is, except for the fact that whoever painted it before sometimes like to randomly spray paint across the baseboards. Grrr. I'll admit this caused me some concern when we were making a decision about buying, but I thought, "No problem. I can handle this - especially if it means preserving the original wood trim."

But, I'll be honest... it's a huge pain. And, it's presenting us with the only serious obstacle to painting the walls of our house. I don't want to paint until the baseboards are clean, but I really don't want to clean the baseboards. So, that's why all our furniture is still scattered throughout the house - dressers in the office, cardboard boxes filled with pots and pans, clothing stacked on the guest bed.

We did have a breakthrough last night though (in part because our blueberry, rum, and basil cocktails and a new episode of Top Chef made it a bit less painful) - finding the perfect combination of Goof Off, scraping, scouring, and sponging to get almost three-quarters of the bedroom clean. This weekend (keep your fingers crossed), we'll be prepped and primed and ready to paint.

Keep sweeping, Martha

Hooked on Dexter: Season 4 (and loving Debra Morgan). Mr. Beeton watched the other three seasons without me because I boldly declared the show did not interest me. Little did I know.

No comments: