9.23.2013

rut

It's funny. Molly Wizenberg (over there at Orangette) and I are living weirdly parallel lives. She was in graduate school; I was in graduate school. She loves food; I love food. She had a baby and postpartum depression; I had a baby and postpartum depression. Aside from the fact that she's a successful blogger and has a book that's been read by more than ten people, we're nearly the same. In another life, we might even become what Anne Shirley called "bosom friends."


Then, this weekend, I logged on to see her latest post - one I had been planning on writing just as soon as life settled down. Okay, maybe not exactly the same, but I had planned to write about how we've really gotten into a rut around here with our dinner menu. I feel like we've been eating the same thing "over and over and over" each week. Yesterday, when we returned from a weekend trip to Pennsylvania, all I could think about was how much I didn't want to food shop. 

So, I got it into my head that I'd write a post, soliciting my dear readers for their tried and true standby meals - in the hopes that some of these recipes might become my tried and true standby meals (and shake up our dinnertime routine a bit!). 

I'll share one of mine if you share one of yours. Just don't make it for zucchini.

Keep sweeping, Martha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Black Beans and Rice

1lb ground beef--browned and drained

1 onion chopped

2 garlic cloves minced

2 cans of black beans--rinsed and drained

2 cans of mexi-tomatoes

Salt & Pepper to taste

1/4 tsp to 1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2-3 table spoons of red wine vinegar

1--brown the meat. (If you're feeling lazy--throw the onion in now and the garlic at the last minute) drain the meat

2--dump everything else (except the vinegar in)

3--bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes

4--stir in the vinegar

5--serve over rice. OR freeze it for another day.

anngeewhiz

Observe Closely said...

Roasted Provençal Chicken Thighs with Vegetables

Chicken Tikka Masala

Creamy Mushroom Fettuccini

Sesame Noodles

Tuna Melt (no really! Jazz it up with fancy mayo, a tomato slice, and a tasty cheese, like gruyere)

Spice Crusted Salmon with Orange Lime Salsa

Chicken in a Pot: The Garlic and Lemon Version

Black Bean Espresso Chili

Crunchy Mustard-Baked Salmon

Eggplant Parmigiana

Veal or Chicken Piccata or Scallopini

Lemme know if you need my recipes. Happy to share.

Unknown said...

Some classics around my house when we aren't feeling so creative:
- Breakfast for dinner
- Spaghetti squash with meat sauce
- And if you have time but little energy, a whole roasted chicken with any veggie and rice on the side. The leftovers of that chicken then become quesadillas the next night, and tossed in with pasta and veggies the next night.