5.18.2011

eating too much lettuce is soporific

Things around here lately have been a curious mix of the good (for instance, a birthday celebration at Founding Farmers with delicious non-alcoholic Cranberry Cucumber Coolers), bad (for instance, giving up our garden plot), and some events that were decidedly mixed (great - yet scary - beginnings). As a result, I haven't blogged about my second baby shower as of yet... and I figured I'd better do so soon because baby shower #3 is just around the corner!

At the end of April, my mother-in-law decided to host a shower at her house in Loudoun County for Mr. Beeton and me. She decided on a Beatrix Potter theme, which is right up our alley and extremely appropriate given that Baby Beeton will be born in The Year of the Rabbit.


The invitations (and stamps!) featured Peter Rabbit, and the whole place was decked out according to theme. There was an adorable "Welcome Baby" banner with Peter in the background, a spinning carousel with Potter characters, and cute Potter character cutouts on top of the cupcakes.


The tables were decorated with glass vegetables, and some of Mr. Beeton and his brother's baby clothes with Peter Rabbit on them were hanging about the house. The favors came in these adorable little Peter Rabbit gift bags and included small plants for everyone's own gardens. If you've ever met Mr. Beeton's mother (or better yet been invited to her house for a party), you know that she knows how to throw a theme party in style. She even had a Beatrix Potter game where you had to guess the Potter character (I did not fare well on this one even though I had just been to see a really compelling lecture by a former University of Delaware professor of mine about Miss Tiggy Winkle).

The food, too, was amazing. My mother-in-law had invited all of her neighborhood friends, as well as some close friends and relatives in the DMV area, and they each contributed dishes. There were excellent finger sandwiches, delicious salads, and my absolute favorite - deviled eggs.

(Sidenote: I've been getting asked a lot lately about my pregnancy cravings. I have to admit that I haven't really had them. When I first found out I was pregnant, there were definitely foods I could not stomach and foods that I could stomach - see here for details. But, in thinking it over, this last month, I really do crave deviled eggs and fruit, mainly watermelon! Many thanks, too, to The Baraness for sending the deviled egg recipe my way.)

All of the women present were so generous. They gave us so many wonderful gifts! A scrapbook, a pewter dish and cup, a snugabunny bouncer, blankets, books, and many, many more terrific items! In particular, I'm excited about the Beatrix Potter teacup and saucer, which will go in Baby Beeton's room along with the banner my mom made for the shower at her house to remind Baby Beeton of his/her two loving grandmas.

Speaking of the nursery, the stripes are finished, the fan is up (thanks to Handyman T), the crib is in, the changing table's last coat of paint is drying, and the blinds have been ordered. It's coming along nicely. Pictures will be posted soon, I promise.

In the meantime, I've got to get this house cleaned before our friends descend on Saturday for our final May shower.

Keep sweeping, Martha

Watched The Dilemma and Please Give (so, so good!)

No comments: